Hurricane Season

image_pdfimage_print

Hurricane season in Barbados and the Atlantic basin runs from June 1st to November 30th. This year the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) predicts near-normal or below-normal hurricane season is likely this year. The outlook calls for a 50% chance of a below-normal season, a 40% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of an above-normal season. an active season with a 70 percent likelihood of 8 to 13 named storms, with winds of 39 mph or higher. The NOAA have forecasted that 3 to 6 of these storms could become hurricanes, with winds of 74 mph or higher. This could include 1 to 2 major hurricanes which would be Category 3, 4 or 5, with winds of 111 mph or higher. These expected ranges are centred below the official NHC 1981-2010 seasonal averages of 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes, but we still urge you to be please be prepared!

Hurricane Season

Here are a few tips to prepare you for before, during and after a storm if you’re in the Caribbean:

Before

  1. Store shutters and materials for boarding up windows and doors.
  2. Trim tree branches. Ensure to call Barbados Light & Power to have them remove any limbs that are too close to power lines.
  3. Clear gutters and drains of debris.
  4. Store important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account in a waterproof, portable container.
  5. Learn where the closest shelter to you is located.
  6. Turn refrigerator to the coldest setting in case the power goes off. To conserve the fridge temperature, pack a cooler with the items you will use the most in order to regulate how often you go in and out of the fridge.
  7. Fill your vehicle’s gas tank.
  8. Store outdoor furniture in case of high winds.
  9. Bring animals inside.
  10. Stock up on batteries for all devices.
  11. Buy a small generator.

Click the following link for a full list of supplies you should consider stocking up with for the hurricane season: Hurricane  Supplies: Be Prepared

During

  1. Stay indoors.
  2. Keep listening to the radio to keep updated on the hurricane’s activity.
  3. If there is a lull in storm activity, DO NOT go outside. There is generally a temporary time of calm as the eye of a hurricane, which is usually followed by high winds coming from the opposite direction.

After

  1. Continue listening to the radio for updates on damages caused, any roads blocked etc.
  2. Avoid the urge to go sight seeing until you’re given the all-clear from the officials.
  3. Avoid using your vehicle unless necessary. Be aware of flooded roads and washed out bridges.
  4. Keep away from loose or damaged power lines and report them immediately. Call 626-1800.
  5. Inspect your home for any damages and take pictures for building and contents insurance purposes.
  6. Avoid drinking or cooking with water from the tap until there is clearance that it is not contaminated.
  7. Use landlines and cell phones for emergency calls only.
  8. Use flashlights and NOT candles in the dark.

 Did you know?

Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms had been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center. There are six lists that are used in rotation and re-cycled every six years, i.e. the 2014 list will be used again in 2020. The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity.

The names for 2014 storms are:

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

Please subscribe

If you like what you see, please subscribe to our service and share with your friends.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply